Originally developed as an audio editor, it eventually developed into an NLE for video and audio from version 2.0. Vegas features real-time multitrack video and audio editing on unlimited tracks, resolution-independent video sequencing, complex effects and compositing tools, 24-bit/192 kHz audio support, VST and DirectX plug-in effect support, and Dolby Digital surround sound mixing.
Much of the visual effects processing in Vegas follows an audio-like paradigm. Effects can be applied at any stage of the visual signal flow event level, track level, and output level effects, much like reverb, delay and flange audio effects are applied in a digital audio system, like Pro Tools, Cubase or Sonar. Master output effects can also be controlled and manipulated over time by the use of Master Bus track automation envelopes.
With version 8.0, Vegas now reads MJPEG AVIs usually from video setting on digital still cameras With prior versions of the software, installing an MJPEG codec sometimes but not always fixed the problem. Third-party codecs are supported but it can be difficult to see which codec is being used to play back an AVI. Some of Vegas's codecs are native or built-in.
In April 2007, Sony along with AMD jointly demonstrated a 64-bit version of Vegas running on 64-bit Vista. Sony Vegas is designed to run on Windows XP and subsequent operating systems. Since Sony Vegas 11, support for Windows XP has been dropped. Vegas 12 dropped support for all 32-bit machines. Vegas 13 entirely dropped support for Windows Vista.
On May 24, 2016, Sony announced that it sold Vegas (and most of its "Creative Software" line) to MAGIX, who would continue supporting and developing the software. The first version of Vegas developed by MAGIX was released on September 2016.
In AGK parodies
Vegas Pro is a common resource for AGK makers, mostly because of its superior features.
The software costs a rounded price of at least US$400.00. A vast majority of video makers aren't able to pay that much cash. So to make up for the high cost, video makers have the option to download a patch (or keygen, depending on the download). This move is considered controversial: mostly because the patch can make any computer more susceptible to malware, as well as the fact that you are illegally downloading the software. As of July 2017, there have been no court cases related to patched downloads.
- AGK Generations used Sony Vegas 7, but he later changed to Sony Vegas 13.0 on April 25, 2015. He knew this is a way to make better HD videos!
- Joey Slikk and AngryGermanKid82 uses Sony Vegas with a 4:3 aspect ratio for their videos.
- Ivan187 tried to use Sony Vegas, but due to many actions that he found to be bogus, causing the program to be very annoying and complicated to use, he failed.
- MouseVideoMakerAGK70 uses Sony Vegas 11 for making videos.
- UsefulAGKHelper used Sony Vegas 10 for the first time, he practiced using Sony Vegas, but after the trial expired, he switched to Sony Vegas 11 in order to avoid problems with the trial expiration. He uses Sony Vegas 11.0 due to his computer using a 32-bit architecture.
- BlueSlash71 used Sony Vegas 11 to make his "Angry German Kid Rebooted Randomness" series and his "Angry German Kid Randomness Unleashed" series.
- FallenAGK used "Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum - Steam Powered" but then he cracked "Sony Vegas 1.4" the same way as PVMAGKVIDEOS, then he cracked Sony Vegas 1.5.
- CasperTheLawlBro2001 cracked and used "Sony Vegas Pro 13" and "MAGIX Vegas Pro 14" for making videos, he just thought he should get MAGIX Vegas Pro 18 and any future versions in the future.
- Adrenaline21 uses Sony Vegas Pro 11, much like of MouseVideoMakerAGK70 but this is the first time for his episodes 20 and later.
- FourFanatic7889 used MAGIX VEGAS Pro 15 for making videos. He later changed to Sony Vegas Pro 12 on February 15th, 2018 as a way to make better HD videos, and changed again to Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 and 10.0 on March 13th, 2018.
- Icepenguins101 used Sony Vegas 13 for episodes between S2EP14 and S3EP3 in Adventures, his very first series. Unfortunately though, it was flashy for an unknown reason.
- Atekuro95 used Vegas Pro 14 for episode 4, but now he switched to Vegas Pro 16 for the current episode he's working on.
- YumaSonic2016 initially used Sony Vegas Pro 11, but switched to Vegas Pro 14 when he got a new computer for editing. He used Vegas Pro 14 until December 2017, which he replaced with Vegas Pro 15. He was going to use Vegas Pro 16 in 2019, but he ended up using Vegas Pro 16 around August 2018 after resetting his current computer. He will be using Vegas Pro to make his AGK Series.
- He was also planning to use Vegas Pro 17 in 2020, but due to reasons of being warned about patched downloads, he has to skip 17 and wait until he has enough money for a future version of Vegas Pro.
- NicholasTheVideoMaker2005 used Vegas Pro 14 and other versions, but now he switched to Vegas Pro 17 in November 4, 2019.
- Dipsy57_YT used Vegas Pro 13.0 to make his Sparta Remixes, AGK Episodes, G Major videos, and He uses Vegas Pro 15.0 just in case if he go find a higher VEG Replacement for Vegas Pro 14.0. Soon, For his AGK Animations, He will use Adobe After Effects if he learns to do smooth and realistic animations with it. When he gets a Mac Computer, He will use Final Cut Pro so he can make better AGK episodes. He still uses Vegas Pro though. He uses that to create his walking animations. He uses paint.net for making sprites, and using Scratch to make animations as well.
- Vegas product family
- Sony Vegas Tutorial BASICS
- Download Version 11.0 for 32 bit: MediaFire
- Download Version 13.0 for 64 bit: Google Drive/OneDrive/MEGA
- Download Version 14.0 for 64 bit: MediaFire
- Download Version 15.0 for 64 bit: Google Drive/MEGA/MediaFire
- Download Version 16.0 for 64 bit: MediaFire